Amy Alice Textiles Reflective Commentary

A reflective Blog of my process and learning during my final major printed textile project

Final Two Weeks…

My fabrics and sampling have been cut to size, ironed and ready to start displaying in the final exhibition. I am really pleased with the collection as whole; I was worried at the beginning of this project that my final fabrics wouldn’t work as a collection but thankfully they do. I feel I have really experimented and tried different routes in order to gain the best quality and look, through doing this I must admit this final year has been my favourite. I’ve felt really free to do what I wanted and in doing this inspiration has flowed. 

I have encountered many difficulties and had to adapt to changes in the project when things haven’t gone the way it was originally planned. This is especially so in the print room; it is such a serendipitous process and even the most organised plans don’t result the way you imagined.

The first term was invaluable in setting the foundations for this major project. After not being a university for a year during placement I had to re-learn a lot of processes. I discovered that working with natural fibres and remazols dyes created the best results in my opinion. My favourite techniques were definitely blank discharge and devore on certain fabric such as silk viscose velvet and roman georgette silk viscose; these applications I carried through to the second term.


I have completed the product specification report and created fashion illustrations to put my fabrics in situ. The last things I need to tie up before the deadline include: printing off trend and market boards, bounding files and folders, general presentation of work and finishing off visual diary and cad development.


I am eager to put my fabric up and see the end presentation. I imagine to keep it quite simple in a hanging manner.

The end is near.. Last week in the print room :(

This week was my final week in the print room. It has been extremely stressful and difficult as I wanted to create a few more samples for my final collection however a lot of my fabrcs didn’t turn out as planned. With limited time and fabric left it was a high pressure situation which I don’t tend to deal well with. However, I was able to create one final fabric I was pleased with which combined the bright, rich colours I was after to contrast against some of the more pale, soft colours; further more I combined three of my screen prints which showcased my drawing skills which I also wanted to bring more into my final collection. I am relieved and also saddened by my last week as the print room has been what I enjoy most of this course however it is a relief to know my samples are complete.

 

My aim for the commencing weeks are to begin to tie everything together such as printing of folders, final boards, ‘in-situs’ of my fabrics and the 2,000 word report on the technical aspects of my fabrics. Additionally, beginning to prepare for putting up the final degree show.

Final digi printing and Laser cutting…

This week I printed my designs on the digital printer and also used the laser cutter. I printed two and a half metres; 1 metre chiffon mousline, 1 metre silk viscose satin and and half a metre of the silk cotton. I then worked into some of these further in the print workshop either using discharge, devore or metallic pigment. I used the laser cutter to cut into some of my final and development fabrics as well as my folders and front covers.    

Final fabrics are being made!…

I have started to begin my final fabrics within the print workshop whilst still continuing my CAD work and folder development. I am struggling to keep this blog as university has become quite full on in the past couple of weeks and it is difficult to remember exactly what I have been doing. The week commencing the 26th April I received all my fabric from Whaley’s allowing me to begin my prints in the print workshop which are solely done through screens. I have decided to do my final lengths around 30cm wide and 80 cm long, therefore not huge lengths but still not small samples. I really like trying to push the boundaries in the print workshop through combining and layering processes and also using alternative dyeing techniques. I feel I am very process led and I am certainly not a perfectionist. If some dye happens to land where it wasn’t intended I try not to worry so much as these things easily occur in the print workshop and it is all part of the process. I find there is something really lovely about that and shows how it has been made by hand. I have five screens in total; 2 large furnishing screens and 3 medium screens containing a mixture of designs. Some which repeat and some which can be tessellated down a piece of fabric without the need of joining.